Job interviews are like first dates. No matter how many you got through, you never get past the nerves. While many of the questions and even the surroundings can be similar, there are too many variables. You never know fully what to expect.
At the same time, you should remember: making it to the interview stage is a positive thing. On average, 118 people apply for a single job. Your invitation means someone in the hiring department thinks you fit the bill.
So how do you start to calm those interview nerves? Internalize these suggestions and keep them in mind to put your best foot forward.
Top 10 Things to Keep in Mind During a Job Interview
By remembering these key mantras, you’ll stabilize your interview performances and leave each interview knowing you did your best.
- You got to the interview stage because they liked your job application. Relax!
- Whatever do you, keep your language and tone respectful.
- Be specific where you can. Talk about unique situations or scenarios rather than describing your general duties.
- Correct yourself if you feel the need. There’s nothing wrong with clarifying a statement or even backtracking completely. The most important thing is that you’re honest.
- Act natural by maintaining eye contact, smiling, and using open body language. If the interview is virtual, set up your chair so the interviewer can see your head and shoulders.
- It’s okay not to have an answer to a question. Admitting you don’t know something is more powerful than telling the interviewer what they want to hear.
- Listen carefully, and demonstrate good listening skills.
- If you don’t understand a question, ask them to explain.
- Ask questions that are important to you, even if it’s not the most “insightful” question.
- Always thank the interviewers for the opportunity and say goodbye on the way out the door.
Get Expert Interview Advice from Our Team
Interviews are never easy, but they don’t need to feel impossible. By using interview tips and even seeking out some interview coaching, you’ll find ways to navigate job interviews and stand out to hiring managers.
Are you ready to take the next step in your career? Get in touch with TekCom Resources to learn more about how we help candidates reach higher in the telecoms industry.